When patients visit us here at our San Diego cosmetic surgery practice seeking treatment for their varicose veins, their main concern often has to do with cosmetic issues. Majority of these patients are women since it has been estimated that roughly 90 percent of those with varicose veins are women due to hormonal shifts.
While varicose veins can happen in any part of the body, the legs are the most commonly affected body part due to gravity. As mentioned earlier, varicose veins can really make your legs look unattractive but we would also like to point out that several non-cosmetic problems can arise from such condition.
Why It Happens
Before figuring out the non-cosmetic issues that can arise from having varicose veins, it may be best to understand why they happen in the first place. By and large, your veins are responsible for taking blood back to the heart from all over your body for oxygenation. The valves within the veins help keep the blood from pooling in one place or backing up due to gravitational pull.
However, when these valves start to malfunction, the blood will start to pool in one place and exert pressure on the walls of the veins. This will cause the veins to balloon out, resulting to its twisted-like appearance. Every so often, being overweight, prolonged periods of standing or sitting down, and existing health problems can lead to the occurrence of varicose veins.
Non-Cosmetic Problems That Can Arise from Varicose Veins
- Heaviness on the legs, throbbing or cramping pain, and swelling
- Skin ulcers or sores due to long-term pooling of blood. In most cases, the only way to treat them is to repair the pooling of blood.
- Significant blood loss due to excessive bleeding as the skin on the surface of the veins may become thinner over time.
- A blood clot may form within the vein just underneath the surface of the skin, also known as thrombophlebitis
- A blood clot may form deeper into the vein, also known as deep vein thrombosis. Apart from the pain, swelling, and redness, the blood clot could prove to be fatal if it gets dislodged and ends up in the lungs
Laser Vein Removal to Avoid Complications From Varicose Veins
If you’ve done all types of conservative measures in treating varicose veins such as wearing compression stockings and keeping your legs elevated without relief and improvement, we encourage you to get in touch with us to learn more about laser vein removal.
Laser vein removal at Nowak Aesthetics has a very high success rate. In fact, it has been found out that the leg veins becomes invisible when checked through ultrasound about a year after the laser vein removal treatment.
If you’d like to learn more about the procedure, we encourage you to get in touch with us today! Call us at (619) 420-1840 or fill out our contact form to schedule your private consultation. We’d love to hear from you!