Acne can cause you embarrassment and dampen your confidence. In some cases, it can even cause permanent scarring. While acne is most common in teenagers, many adults still struggle with acne. Find out how to prevent breakouts and treat acne below.
There are many things you can do to prevent breakouts or minimize their severity.
- Wash your face daily with a mild cleanser.
- Wear light, high quality makeup that is oil free so that it doesn’t clog your pores.
- Never share makeup with your friends or family members.
- Keep your hair pulled back away from your face.
- Wash your hands often and avoid touching your face.
- Sanitize your cell phone, headphones, and other things that come in frequent contact with your skin.
- Wash your pillowcase at least once a week.
- Find ways to reduce stress—exercise, stay up to date on your deadlines, call your loved ones, and listen to your favorite music.
- Never pop your zits since this can spread the infection.
Even if you do everything you can to prevent breakouts, you’ll probably still have trouble with acne from time to time.
If you have a mild breakout, you may be able to treat your acne by using a special facial cleanser and topical treatment that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. If you have more serious problems with acne, you may need prescription medication.
In most cases, treatments will only take 10-15 minutes. You’ll need to continue coming in for treatments twice a week for 8-10 weeks. After the initial treatment, it is recommended that you come in once a month to maintain the results. This treatment can also be paired with a more aggressive topical treatment as needed.
To learn more about preventing and treating acne, schedule a consultation at Nowak Aesthetics.