There are thousands of anti-aging products out there: oils to serums to creams. While all of these products promise the same thing — to delay the aging process and reduce its signs — there is one ingredient that has been proven by scientific research to really work and has achieved rockstar status among anti-aging experts — retinol.
Retinol is a derivative of Vitamin A, which has been shown in several studies to soften the appearance of fine lines, lighten dark spots, and significantly improve skin texture. Retinol-based products can be acquired either by prescription or over-the-counter. The prescription type, also known as retinoids, is generally stronger and works faster than those that can be bought without prescription.
Whether you’re using retinoids or non-prescription retinol, here’s what you need to know to ensure optimum effectiveness:
- Products containing retinol and other Vitamin A derivatives should not be used if you are trying to conceive, are already pregnant, or are currently breastfeeding.
- Retinol products should never be applied to the eyelids and underneath the brows. You can gently apply retinol under the eye area.
- When it comes to retinol, more isn’t better. Generally, a pea-sized amount for the entire face is recommended.
- Sunscreen is a must when using retinol during the day.
- Moisturizer should be applied before applying retinoids because they dry out the skin faster than non-prescription retinols.
- Vitamins C and E aid retinol in the production of anti-oxidants and protecting skin cells from free radicals. Thus, it may help if you combine retinol with a Vitamin C serum.
At Nowak Aesthetics, we offer both retinoids and non-prescription retinol. Call us at (619) 420-1840 to schedule your private consultation.